Google’s 'How to Hire an SEO Agency' Official Advice
If you have not got the time to watch the video, then do have a read of our synopsis of the advice from Maile Ohye, in the official Google video on finding the best SEO company for you. You can read the helpful tips and advice all about selecting the right SEO agency for your business.
- There are no magical tricks in SEO that will provide you with short term gains, so that your site suddenly ranks number 1.
- The added value that SEO will provide to your business is only as high as the quality of your website, service, or product.
- Look for appropriate rankings – in the spot when an unbiased potential customer would expect your site to be seen.
- A successful SEO agency will look to improve the entire searcher experience, not just the ranking positions but the click through rates and conversion rates. They make sure your website is serving all visitors a good experience.
- SEOs need 4 months to a year to implement improvements and then see benefits.
- Request that any recommendations are corroborated with an official statement from the google help centre website or webmaster central forum.
- Speak with your potential SEO agency. They should seem genuinely interested in your business, who your competitors are, who your potential customers are, what other channels you are using, how your business makes money and what your website goals are. They need this information to be able to assess how search can actually help you. The best agencies will take a holistic approach, it’s not just about getting your site the highest short term rankings or the most traffic.
- Get a technical SEO audit done by your potential SEO firm. They should give you a detailed and prioritised list of what could be improved on your site, what investment it will take to make these changes and the estimated impact. Decide if you want them to make the recommended changes based on going through this audit with them.
- Ask for and check their references. The SEO firm you choose to work with should feel like someone you trust and can learn from.
- Be prepared to take the time and investment to implement the changes. If you are not ready to commit to making the recommended SEO improvements then you won’t see the positive impact either…